Sign up by email to receive periodic poetic postings from Alexandra

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Poet Hadara Bar-Nadav Discusses the Prose Poem and Writing Poems without Linebreaks

A fascinating interview from Jet Fuel Review with poet Hadara Bar-Nadav on how writing prose poems helped her navigate grief in her latest poetry collection: Lullaby (with Exit sign).


Here's a sample of Bar-Nadav's thoughts on sound in prose poems and poetry composing in general. I wholeheartedly agree with this idea of sound as key to a deeper, more "visceral" method of finding one's way while writing (and even revising) a poem:

"I especially enjoy pushing sound in prose poetry.  When I read the work of someone like Karen Volkman or Simone Muench, I see how the prose poem can create opportunities for very visceral treatment of alliteration, assonance, and consonance, and rhyme and off-rhymeI’m also a great believer in allowing the poem to go where it may, and, as you noted, sound was a major compositional device in the writing of these poems.  At the same time, sound also enabled me to revise these poems, which I said aloud dozens of time as I revised.  All this to say, sound can be both a compositional device and a tool for revision. "


1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody, My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete